The benefits of mindfulness on mental health and well-being, and the relationship of the body to the functioning of the brain, are evident and demonstrated in a growing body of scientific research. We share here with you a small sampling of the literature for further study, and to demonstrate among other things the varied ways that mindfulness is used for specific mental health issues.
- Bartur, G. (2014). Heart Rate Autonomic Regulation System at Rest and During Paced Breathing among Patients with CRPS as Comparted to Age-Matched Health Controls. Pain Medicine 2014. Vol 15. 1569-1574.
- Moss, A. (2012). Effects of an 8-week Meditation Program on Mood and Anxiety in Patients with Memory Loss. The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. Vol 18, No. 1, 2012 pp 48-53.
- Short, E., et.al. (2007). Regional Brain Activation During Meditation Shows Time and Practice Effects: An Exploratory FMRI Study. Advance Access Publication 2010:7(1)121-127.
- Fulton, C., Cashwell C. (2009) Mindfulness-Based Awareness and Compassion: Predictors of Counselor Empathy and Anxiety. Counselor Education & Supervision. June 2015. P122-132.
- Hoge, E., et.al (2015). Change in Decentering Meditates Improvement in Anxiety in Mindfulness=Based Stress Reduction for Generalized Anxiety Disorder. Cognitive Therapy Res. 2015. 39:228-235.
- Morgan, J., et.al (2014). Cognitive processes as mediators of the relation between mindfulness and change in social anxiety symptoms following cognitive behavioral treatment. Anxiety, Stress & Coping. 2014. Vol 27, No. 3, 288-302.
- Norton, A., et.al (2014). A Systematic Review of Mindfulness and Acceptance-Based Treatments for Social Anxiety Disorder. Journal of Clinical Psychology, Vol 71(4), 283-301 (2015).
- Strauss, C, et.al (2014). Mindfulness-Based Interventions for People Diagnosed with a Current Episode of an Anxiety or Depressive Disorder: A Meta-Analysis of Randomised Controlled Trials. www.plosone.org. April 2014.
- Zeidan, F, et.al (2012). Mindfulness meditation-related pain relief: Evidence for unique brain mechanisms in the regulation of pain. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3580050/.
Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR)
- Cherkin, D., et.al (2016). Effect of Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction vs Cognitive Behavioral Therapy or Usual Care on Back Pain and Functional Limitations in Adults with Chronic Low Back Pain. JAMA 2016:315(12): 1240-1249.
- Dutton, M. (2013). Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction for Low-Income, Predominantly African American Women with PTSD and a History of Intimate Partner Violence. Cognitive Behavior Prac 2013 Feb 1: 20(1) 23-32.
- Hartmann, M, et.al. (2012). Sustained Effects of a Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Intervention in Type 2 Diabetic Patients. Diabetes Care 35945-947, 2012.
- King, A. (2013). A Pilot Study of Group Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT) for Combat Veterans with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). Depression and Anxiety 30:638-645 (2013).
Mindfulness — Eating Disorders
- O’Reilly, G., et.al. (2014). Mindfulness-based interventions for obesity-related eating behaviors: A literature review. Obesity reviews (2014) 15, 453-461.
- Roberts, K., Danoff-Burg, S. (Unknown). Mindfulness and Health Behaviors: Is Paying Attention Good for You? Journal of American College Health, Vol 39, No. 3.
- Wanden-Berghe, R., et.al. (2011). The Application of Mindfulness to Eating Disorders Treatment: A Systematic Review. Eating Disorders 18:34-48, 2011
- Woolhouse, H., et.al (2012). Adding Mindfulness to CBT Programs for Binge Eating: A Mixed Methods Evaluation. Eating Disorders 20:321-339, 2012.
- Buffart, M, et.al (2012). Physical and psychosocial benefits of yoga in cancer patients and survivors, a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. BMC Cancer 2012, 12:559.
- Chung, S., et.al (2012). Effect of Sahaja Yoga Meditation on Quality of Life, Anxiety, and Blood Pressure Control. The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. Volume 18, Number 6, 2012.
- Forfylow, A (2011). Integrating Yoga with Psychotherapy: A Complementary Treatment for Anxiety and Depression. Canadian Journal of Counseling and Psychotherapy. Vol 45, No 2. Pp 132-150.
- Pence, P. et.al (2014). Delivering Integrative Restoration-Yoga Nidra Meditation (iRest) to Women with Sexual Trauma at a Veteran’s Medical Center: A Pilot Study. International Journal of Yoga Therapy – No. 24 (2014).
- Skowronek, A., et.al (2014). Can Yoga Reduce Symptoms of Anxiety and Depression. The Journal of Family Practice. July 2014. Vol 63, No. 7.
- Stankovic, L (2011). Transforming Trauma: A Qualitative Feasibility Study of Integrative Restoration (iRest) Yoga Nidra on Combat-Related Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. International Journal of Yoga Therapy, No. 21 (2011).
Oregon Mind Body Institute (OMBI) is a tax-exempt organization with a 501(c)(3) status.